Monday, August 12, 2013

publishing an app to the app store

The following steps are taken to publish an app to the app store. These are loosely based around a demonstration on the YouTube.
To publish an app, I have to sign up for one of the developer programs from Apple.In this case, I would choose an individual developer program. Then I would connect to the ITunesConnect home page and click on manage my applications. Here I would choose the option to Add new App and enter the app information details such as Default Language, App Name, SKU number, Bundle ID. The SKU  number is any unique number sequence you can give. The Application Id is the same as created new.  I can use the helpful link on the same page to create a new one. The Bundle ID should be the same as what was specified under the xcodeproj under the IOS application target. Next I select the availability date and price tier. The version information and additional details are just useful metadata for publish but they are not used anywhere. So any desription is helpful. Next I create the IOS distribution provisioning profile in iOS provisioning portal. I download the distribution profile and add it to XCode. I define debug and release configurations and specify code signing. I make sure everything is marked for IPhone distribution. Then I click on Product Archive to get it read for upload. This builds the package and signs it.Errors encountered during this process should be ironed out. When the product is build, I mark it as a candidate build for release by adding suitable comments and then click on distribute. When I distribute the application, I should get a message  saying the application has been uploaded to the app store. Once this is done, I should be able to download it from the app store on my IPhone to give it a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment